Academy of Dover added 5th grade in 2013!
Students in fifth grade are preparing to enter the realities of Middle School. While this may be a tough year for many students, they are still encouraged to be and do their best. Students in 5th grade continue to stay in one classroom during the school day. During this time in the classroom students receive differentiated instruction based on each student’s needs.
Here is a highlight of our 5th grade curriculum:
In ELA, students will learn the following:
- Read on level texts
- Compare and contrast different genres
- Write opinion pieces, informative/explanatory texts, and narratives
- Engage in collaborative discussions
- Conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections
Math in 5th grade consists of the following skills;
- Analyzing patterns
- Understanding the Place value system
- Equivalent fractions
- Converting measurement
- Geometric measurement
- Graphing on coordinate plane
- Classify two dimensional figures
Academy of Dover uses the science kits provided by the Science Consortium. These kits introduce “engineering as education” and provide hands on learning opportunities.
5th grade students at AOD use the following science kits:
- Mixtures and solutions
- Motion and design
Fifth grade students participate in the State Assessment for ELA, Math, and Science.